I’m an independent writer, editor and photographer based in Lawrence, Kan. I’ve published two books and hundreds of articles, both online and in print. I’ve been employed by a newspaper, a wire service, a foundation and two universities. My work has appeared in Salon.com, Ms., Pacific Standard, The Progressive, The St. Louis Post Dispatch and many other venues. Before the recession crashed circulation, I wrote a syndicated newspaper column. At various times, I’ve dabbled in politics, working as a communications consultant for the Kansas Democratic Party and on candidate and issue campaigns.
Now you know everything about me, and nothing.
To understand me you have to understand that I’m driven to explore. My first career goal was to lead expeditions to the frozen bits of the world. (I was 8 at the time.) When I learned that the North Pole and South Pole had already been reached, I was crushed. My next career goal was to be the first woman on Mars. I’m still upset by the fact that I abandoned that dream because of a tendency to get car sick, bad eyes, and a thick wall of sexism. (I thought it was impossible for a girl to go into space. What a fool I was!) These days my explorations are diverse, stretching from a quest to understand moral goodness to a mission to make the difficult easy.
- Consultant, Writer, Editor and Photographer (2007 to present)
- KU Endowment, Senior Editor (final position), 1994-2007
- Joan Wagnon for Governor, Press Secretary, 1994
- Silverword Enterprises, Owner and Senior Consultant, 1990-1994
- The Wichita Eagle, Statehouse Reporter, 1985-1990
- Michigan State University, Instructor & TA, 1978-1985
- United Press International, Detroit Bureau, Desk Editor, 1975-1978
Information about my campaign work is available upon request.
- Michigan State University, Bachelor of Arts (1975); Master of Arts (1985), journalism
- Clarion Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers Workshop, Michigan State University, 1978
Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE) Region VI: gold, silver and bronze medals for KU Endowment’s Catalyst periodical as best magazine, best visual design, best cover, best science/research articles. Gold and bronze medals for KU Endowment’s Accolades newsletter for best visual design in newsletter/tabloid and best fundraising newsletter/tabloid.